If you are scratching your head clueless about what to buy for your restless-traveler friend, this list of original and unique gifts for travelers that I put together will hopefully help you with great ideas from expensive to cheap pieces of traveling gear that your friend will love.
These +51 ideas for gift for travel lovers are based on what I am using in my nomadic life and on my buying list of travel related gifts that I want to buy for myself.
I always struggle when I have to buy a present as I am always short of ideas when I need them the most. I hope these travel items will help you find some inspiration and some gift ideas for your travel-lover friend. From small cheap items like a cute neckless, a towel or a journal to more expensive (but long-lasting) items such as a camera lenses or a suitcase, I have covered it all.
Read more to find the perfect gift for your travel-obsessed friend!
The best gift a travel lover can receive
If you are short of ideas and most of all if your travel friend is not at an easy reach and you can only send virtual gift, why not sending them a precious travel voucher that they can spend anywhere and whenever they want. I bought one to my sister for her wedding and they loved it.
On Tinggly you can choose among many different travel packages of every sort and for any occasion, for solo travelers or couples.
But there is more, Tinggly is working towards a cleaner and more sustainable future. From installing trash traps in the rivers of Bali to successfully reducing our carbon footprint by 200%. They are also committed to removing 11lbs (5 kg) of plastics from the environment for every Tinggly gift box sold – that’s almost 220 plastic bottles.
The next exciting Tinggly steps are the introduction of environmentally friendly packaging and inks, along with the introduction of a far-reaching education program. It’s a long journey, but we’ve made a start.
A reason more to get a Tinggly box for your traveler friend!
Practical gifts for travel lovers:
I have to confess that during my 2-year trip around Mexico and par of South America, I realized that I am everything but a backpacker. So in my subsequent trip, the one I am doing now, I have just bought a normal bags with wheels and it’s soo darn comfortable! my back is thanking me.
Here I will give you both options though, from my previous trip as well. I loved the Low Alpine brand as much as Osprey.
So the choice is yours.
I have the Lowe Alpine 90L which they don't do anymore. So I have been looking for a good alternative to suggest, and I found this big boy, a real deal. What I love the most, besides the multiple bags are the following features:
- Tailored Fit: the new Fit Pro technology provides a quick and customized torso fit for each user.
- Amp Flow: Goodbye sweaty back! The Amp Flow ventilated back panel will keep you cool and dry on long jaunts in the wild. Aluminum Stay in the external frame keeps your load secure and balanced, for a stable and comfortable hike or walk.
- Built to Last: very robust and resistant material, built to stay with you for a very long time.
Nylon-Women-specific design. The antigravity back panel uses the lightweight mesh from the top of the back panel to the hip for lightweight and maximum ventilation.
This is the version for women of the above with antigravity suspension for maximum comfort.
It's one of the best backpacks for women as it’s mid-size and with lots of pockets, besides being a very stylish and robust backpack.
I bought the bigger one, which is only for men but I am big and I love to carry lots of stuff.
- 22H X 14W X 11D inches for airlines carry-on size requirements
- 46L total volume - with large U-zip luggage-style access to the main compartment -
- can convert the bag from a backpack to duffel-style
- Lockable zip laptop/tablet sleeve for quick access fits up to most 15 inch laptops
- Front panel organization pocket for easy access to small travel items
This is to me the best lightweight travel backpack, especially for the foam padded sidewalls with StraightJacket compression stabilizes, which protects and compresses loads.
However, since I purchased the Mindshift rotation 180º for my camera gear, (see below) I completely changed my carry on items, because that backpack is huge and can fits lots of stuff.
If I need more space I carry with me small foldable backpack and a foldable duffle bag, as you can see here below.
This way I am prepared for any change of plans, a three-day getaway, a cruise, or just a day on the beach.
It’s really up to you.
- Nylon lining
- Zipper closure
- Ultra Lightweight! 0.7LB！
- 35L TRAVEL CAPACITY
- Compact and Space-Saving
- Durable and Comfortable
I wished I found out earlier about this precious little tool. A small backpack for your water and valuables is always a convenient item to have. I found this cheap and neat one on Amazon.com, similar to the one I bought, but a little fancier and with many more functions, including the fact that it can become a small duffle bag as well. Click here to read more about the amazing multiple ways you can use it. And you can fold it when you are not using it and it saves lots of space.
Duffle Bags and Suitcases
I love osprey accessories, they are light, fancy, and colorful. I was actually torn between Osprey Backpack and Alpine Lowe and I chose the second because it came in a bigger size and I still loved the style. (They don’t do my huge backpack anymore). I was very happy in the end. As for the Accessories they have amazing items to help you keep your stuff organized in your backpack. Check it out or follow this link to shop. Or see below my favorite items.
Awesome for your toiletries!
I love the flat shape, I find it more practical because you can actually find stuff more easily.
- The StraightJacket compression system allows the organizer to become compressed when extra space is not being utilized
- Foam padding keeps items extra protected
- A large secure pocket holds bulkier items and toiletries
- A multiple-pocketing system ensures dedicated space for certain items
- The hanging clip loop allows the organizer to hang from bathroom hooks or tree branches
- An added mirror makes sure you look good or can help start a fire Pockets: 4 interior
Travel Space-Saver Bags
Pack of 8 Bags with Sizes Medium to Large. Roll-up Compression Storage (No Vacuum Needed) and Packing Organizers for Travel and Home Storage
The ziploc space bags is the cheapest and most valuable item, especially if you are a stranger to packing light. It helps to compress your clothes and create more space. The optimum would be vacum seal bags, but, since you won’t be bringing with you your vacuum cleaner on vacation, these compression bags for travel would do the job.
These ziploc space bags in fact don’t need vacuum or pump to lock them just pack, zip and roll. The air will exit from valves at the bottom of the bag. Transparent see through ensures speedy security checks of your luggage at airports.
Packing Cubes and Travel Organizers
I never travel without them. These packing cubes are perfect to organize all your clothes and accessory and immediately find what you are looking for.
A little more stylish than the Ziplock has the same function to make more room in your bag by squeezing out the air out and compact your clothes together.
I bought my set on Amazon.it so I couldn’t share exactly my own item, but they are very similar to these ones I have selected for you.
Gifts for the photography obsessed – Photography Gear
What I am sharing here is my own gear, which I love and wouldn’t change for the world. I love photography although I am not a pro, traveling without my photography equipment is like not traveling at all. That’s how much it matters to me. So here below I am sharing the photography gear that I cannot live without and a couple of lenses that I am planning to buy soon.
My best investment ever. This photography gear backpack is very spacious and convenient to carry your camera and lenses and use them without taking the back off your shoulder.
It has become my one and only favorite camera gear above all since the first time I saw it on my photography teacher during a workshop. It really makes a unique travel gift, for sure and not only because it’s pricey. It is.
Besides being very stylish, it’s super spacious and practical, for the lower camera pocket rotating 180º to the front without you having to take your bag out.
This feature only is absolutely priceless for me, especially when you are on a hike and want to take a picture but don’t want the group to stop and wait for you.I know it’s a bit expensive and probably overpriced, but I believe if you are a professional photographer or a wannabe pro (like me) it’s worth the effort.
And it’s a product that will last forever.
Pros: extremely roomy, versatile, functional, stylish. Perfect for hiking.
Cons: pricey, bulky.
Great interchangeable bag with multiple pockets that you can use both as a camera bag or as a stylish sporty handbag.
My second favorite after the rotation one! I am using this bag all the time even when I am not carrying my camera. It’s super convenient with lots of pockets and zips. And also:
- Excellent weather-proof coverage at the corners
- Removable and reversible WeatherWrap cover
- Adjustable security strap connects to D-rings on the back of bag which anchor it in position behind you.
- Fidlock patented magnetic clips allow blind,
- Fits a professional DSLR with 2-3 lenses, flash and audio gear. It will fit a DSLR with an attached 70-200mm 2.8 lens. There are two padded interior sleeves: one for a laptop up to 15 inches, and another for an iPad
The camera- Canon 6D – Full Frame
Here is my baby! I don’t go anywhere without it. For me, it’s not a trip if I don’t take some shots with my beloved Canon 6D. Of course, it’s not one of the most professional, and there are many other great cameras but this is what I love and it’s a great piece if you are starting to understand photography and want to play with a semi professional camera!
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens
This particular lens is perfect when you do portraits and when you are doing street photography as well, especially in poor neighborhoods where you don’t want to carry a bulky camera. Big lenses can intimidate people.
Also If you want to try Macro Photography and you don’t want to spend too much on a lens, you can use extension tubes for this lens and it works great.
Micnova KK-C68 Pro Auto Focus Macro Extension Tube Set for Canon EOS EF & EF-S Mount 5D2 5D3 6D 650D 750D Film Cameras (12mm 20mm and 36mm Tubes)
Canon EF 16–35mm f/2.8L III USM Lens
I love, love, love this lens. It’s expensive but worth every single penny. This is the best gift for traveler that is also a photograhy lover. It’s made for love landscape photography, with its amazing wide-angle, especially used in the Canon D6 mentioned above which is a full-frame camera.
My favorite lens for landscapes for amazing grand angles!
It’s the best combination to shoot spectacular landscape pictures. I have the previous version (the II), but it’s still great. However, since you are buying a new one, it’s better to get the latest model. All my landscape photos in this blog are taken with this lens.
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L is II USM Lens
This is my dream lens, it’s not in my hands yet, but I trust one of the next father Christmas to bring me one. It’s just an amazing lens if you love to shoot wildlife. It’s not the best one of course, because the super pros use bigger and more sophisticated lenses but I would be happy with it. If your friend or family loves to shoot wildlife this is the perfect present.
Vanguard VEO 235AB Aluminum Travel Tripod with Ball Head for Sony, Nikon, Canon, Fujifilm Mirrorless, Compact System Camera (CSC), DSLR
A photographer and friend of mine suggested I should buy this and I now love it. A little heavy but very stable and firm.
Semi-professional tripod for your night photography and long exposure.
- Exclusive rapid column rotation for compact transportation and instant set-up and high loading performance (maximum load capacity 13.2 pounds)
- Includes a multi-action TBH-50 ball head with a large ergonomic main locking knob, bubble level, and arca-swiss quick release plate
- 5 section 23mm aluminum alloy legs with 3 different leg angle options and feet that convert from rubber to spiked
- Extra-low angle photography option (low angle adaptor included) and soft rubber handle provides an unbeatable grip in any weather
- Strong stainless steel quick flip leg locks with adjustable tension technology. Folded height: 14.8″. Extended height: 57.1″. Weight: 3.3 pounds
GO PRO 9
It doesn’t really need a description, photography and adventure lovers will be fascinated by the new GO PRO 9 with its enhanced features, including better resolution, improved stability, and resistance.
The latest GO PRO
Waterproof Action Camera with Front LCD and Touch Rear Screens, 5K Ultra HD Video, 20MP Photos, 1080p Live Streaming, Webcam, Stabilization
DJI Mavic 2 Pro
The ultimate gift for travelers, that will make your friend love you forever.
Other practical accessories that would make great gifts for travele lovers
- Roll-top closure is waterproof and helps compress items within the dry sack
- Rectangular shape assists with efficient packing
- Made from durable 40D Ripstop Nylon
- Available in different colors
This is super comfortable and handy for us solo travelers. Think about being on a beach alone. You want to go for a swim but you don’t know where to leave your valuables. Well. Right in there!
And this is why you have to get a good quality one, to make sure it doesn’t leak and keeps your stuff dry.
Dry Fast - Soft Lightweight Absorbent Ultra-Compact for Traveling Gym Beach Bath Yoga Backpacking Fitness + Gift Bag
- 100% microfiber high-quality microfiber made it totally smooth and compact, softer on your skin. Eco-friendly, no faded, no smell.
- 4 SIZES & MULTI-USE: use for exercising, backpacking, travel, camping, swimming, yoga, golf, gym, ect, Good for bath towel; On the beach, etc…
- LIGHTWEIGHT, COMPACT & EASY CARRY
- FAST DRYING, ULTRA ABSORBENT
This is an amazing gift for travel lovers that enjoy traveling solo more and need somewhere to secure their personal belonging when they are in the water.
Up to 30 Hours of Constant Light on a Single Charge, Super Bright White Led + Red Light, Compact, Easy to Use, Best Headlight for Camping, Running
- Super Bright LED Head Lamp for Running, Camping & Work, Lightweight & Comfortable Head Light for Adults & Kids
- 160 Lumen, up to 30 Hours of Constant Light on a Single Charge
- Super Bright White Led + Red Light
- Compact, Easy to Use
- Headlight for Camping & Running
Reusable Wide Mouth Stainless Steel Flask Thermos, 32oz
The bottle itself is a little heavy but it's 1L so it's great to take water with you for almost an entire day if it's not too hot. A good way to save on plastic and it also keeps the temperature.
I have got myself the pink one and it fit perfectly in my Mindshift 180 external pocket.
- Lend a Hand – Easy one-handed drinking with no lids to remove or lose
- Cleaner Drinking – Protective spout cover helps keep out gross dirt and germs
- Seal It In – Leak-proof lid (when closed) for on-the-go convenience
- Lock it Up – Button lock for added peace of mind
- Carry On – Clip on handle attaches to bags, gear, keys and more
- Perfect Fit – Fits most car cup-holders
Camel back for your packpack
Camel bag for your packpack
- BPA-, phthalates-, and lead-free durable thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) construction is both flexible and resilient. Made with certified food-safe materials in accordance with FDA and EU regulations.
- Magnetic clip attaches the hose to sternum strap.
- Flexible ¼ in. hose that’s kink resistant and allows for a faster flow.
- Open slider hook works with webbing loops for efficient upright hanging in your pack’s reservoir sleeve.
For as much as we love books, the kindle comes very handy when you travel as it’s light small and it can hold thousands of books. It makes a great gift idea.
- Now available in black or white
- Higher resolution display (300 ppi) – with twice as many pixels
- Built-in adjustable light – read day and night
- No screen glare, even in bright sunlight, unlike tablets
- A single battery charge lasts weeks, not hours
- Prime members read free with unlimited access to over a thousand titles
Best for Travel Camping Bath Sauna Boho Beach Towels Absorbent Stylish Eco Friendly Thin Towels, 70x37 Inches ( Fair Aqua)
Available in many different colors and designs
Hard Cover, Large (5" x 8.25") Ruled/Lined, Black, 240 Pages
Despite the practicality of technology, I always like to have my notebook and take written notes while sitting in cafes in a new place. It makes me feel like a real writer.
A battery charger
Power Bank with PowerIQ Technology and USB-C (Input Only), Durable External Battery Pack Compatible with iPhone, Samsung, iPad, and More.
A portable power bank is always needed, especially for iPhone owners. But for anyone who is all the time taking pictures or being on social media I am not suggesting this brand particularly. Any brand would work. Just make sure you check the reviews.
In a recent trip I was looking for the perfect photo spots in NYC and I found myself with a dead phone and I couldn’t really afford that as I needed it to find my way around. Luckily I found a Best Buy shop and I bought exactly this brand. I paid more for it in the shop. So make sure you’ll buy it online before traveling.
A swiss army can always turn out useful in any situation, to open a bottle of wine or peal some fruit…you just never know.
- Features 33 functions to equip you for everyday adventures – including 2.45″ large blade, scissors, bottle opener with large screwdriver, pliers, and corkscrew (See product description for full list of features)
- Stainless steel construction encased in polished red ABS scales provides sleek durability
Travel Security Belt with Hidden Money Pocket
I just found out about this and I am going to buy one for me right away! It’s not what you call fancy but it really serves the purpose and you’ve got to be practical when you travel.
Money and passport belt
Keep your valuable safe!
This MONEY AND DOCUMENT HOLDER is very practical too if you like to travel light. I always use my photography bag as a document holder because I bring it always with me. But this would be a great compliment.
Travel insurrance is super important when you travel expecially for a long term. Ho matter how careful you might be, you never know what can happen along the way.
I am using Safety Wing because I love their website and they have very clear information on their policy, and they include Covid-related issues.
Mind though that if you are a diver, this insurance doesn’t cover for unaccompanied dives deeper than 10mt. In this case, and for adventurers World Nomads would be best. You also have the option to include laptops and your electronic items with them.
Whatever insurance you choose, always make sure you read the policy clauses before signing up. If you are still undecided, these posts on the reasons why you should get Travel Insurance and how to choose the best travel insurance will help you.
Hiking gear and outfit
I have to confess, even if it’s not so glamorous I always use hiking boots even when I am not hiking and, yes, even when I am in a beach destination unless I am actually going to the beach. Otherwise, when I am exploring, hiking boots are a must. I feel more comfortable and safe as they keep your feet away from ants (the killer red ones) and other insects, especially if you are in the tropics and walking in the jungle.
Also, they are more practical than flip-flops if you have to drive. I have tried all the below brands and I found the Merrel softer and more comfortable. But all of them were great and durable. At present I am wearing the Columbia, they are ok but a bit stiffer. I have tried the keen and they feet well, they are soft and seemed comfortable but I couldn’t find my number so I opted for the Columbia.
These are gifts for the travelers that love adventure and outdoor activities. They will thank you for ever!
Also when it comes to pants, I am all for comfort. Not a fashionista, right? I do love to dress up on certain occasions, trust me, but when I am exploring I chose comfort over fancy. I love to sit anywhere or kneel down if I had to shoot a particular photo and don’t worry about getting dirty. I also love to have zipped pockets and the fact that I can turn them into shorts. Luckily there are many hiking pants that also look good on us. Here is my choice.
Travel-themed home decor
Artsy World Map for your nice home decor
Black and white travel-themed wall prints
Money Saving Jar
A lovely Jar as a beautiful decor for your home to remind you about saving some money for your next trip!
Travel Quote Pillows
I love my nomadic life but sometimes I wished I had a home just to buy these cute items for my home decor. So just for fun I love to browse through these creative stuff and dream about my home. Here some of my favorite Travel Quote Pillows.
Every Day is an Adventure – a cute white cushion with a bright fun design and a great reminder that if you cannot travel you can really make every day an adventure. The ball is always in your court.
Explore Elegant black and white design and a simple quote to remind you that you can explore anywhere you are, even in your own hometown.
Not all who Wander are Lost – Beautiful colorful world map and a compass with a quote that even if we are constantly on the road it doesn’t mean that we are lost, we just love exploring new places
Life’s a Journey – That is the quote I live by and doesn’t really need explanation.
To travel is to live – Also for some of us, traveling is a natural part of who we are and what makes us alive.
I am sure one of these pillows will make a beautiful gift for travel lovers.
Unique travel gifts don’t have to be expensive to impress. These cute travel themed Jewelry can be worn either at home or during a trip. They are small, light, and not flashy, and yet they make a cute and fancy accessory to complement your outfit.
- Materials: Silver
- Handmade item
- Closure: Lobster claw
- Can be personalized
Travel-related gifts for foodists
There is nothing like a new taste completely different from our eating habits, that make you discover a whole new world. That’s one of the million things I love about traveling. And when we are at home we love to experiment our cooking skills try to replicate that specific recipes, which, of course, we forgot to ask.
Worry not, these amazing international cooking books will fix that.
A Cookbook: by Gabriele Galimberti
These vibrant and intimate profiles and photographs pay homage to grandmothers and their cooking everywhere. From a Swedish housewife and her homemade lox and vegetables to a Zambian villager and her Roasted Spiced Chicken, it's a journey through the world food heritage. In Her Kitchen is an evocative, loving portrait of these cherished family members and the ways they return that affection-no matter where in the world you sit down for dinner.
Over 200 Delicious Recipes and their Origins from around the World (with Color photos for each recipe.
The Complete Book of National Dishes is a culinary journey featuring recipes from every nation in the world while narrating their history and origin.
Cooking Class gift Card
If you know your beloved foodist friend is taking a trip somewhere in the world, you can surprise them with a cooking class gift card that they can use during their trip. Make sure you pick one of the cities in their itinerary.
Liked it? Pin it for Later
- Store your bags in the main cities and walk around freely hands and weight free with Bounce
- Check if you need a visa and get help processing it with iVisa
- Never ever leave without
travel insurance. Get complete coverage from World Nomads or long term insurance from Safety Wing
- I find all of my flights on Skyscanner, Kiwi.com, Google flights, Scott’s Cheap Flights, and always remember to compare
- Book your daily tours locally to support local businesses, or if you don’t find any reliable company, or you prefer to book in advance, check out GetYourGuide or Viator. Some of their tours are refundable up to 24h in advance.
- I rent my long and mid-term apartments on VRBO
- Book hotels with Booking.com or Hotels.com
- Compare car rental prices at Discover Car Rentals
- Check out my travel planning guide if you are planning your trip and feeling overwhelmed