There is so much to see in the Calakmul area, besides the spectacular biosphere that you might want to stay a few days, if not a week like I did. The best area where to stay is either Xpujil or right at the entrance of the Biosphere. In this post, I will tell you all my favorite Calakmul hotels. I have stayed in a couple of them and visited all the ones I am mentioning here, while I was in the area.
If you don’t know the area very well, you may want to read my post about all the things to see in the Calakmul Area to have an understanding of what’s waiting for you. Here below, instead, you can read my suggestions on where to stay.
HOTELS IN CALAKMUL
If your intention is to visit only Calakmul, your best choice among the Calakmul hotels would be the iconic PUERTA CALAKMUL located right at the entrance of the Calakmul Biosphere.
Its a total immersion with nature as you wake up at the sound of the birds chirping around your cottage in the deep jungle. The accommodations are what I call simple chic, made of natural material like wooden and stones and will offer you tranquillity and privacy for your comfort and enjoyment. You will be able to use tv and wifi in the common areas only, where also the restaurant is located. The kind concierge will be able to assist you with the organization of tours and taxi for all your visits if you don’t have a car.
HOTELS IN XPUJIL
If you are comfortable with driving and you wish to stay in Xpujil town or close by, I can suggest you the following properties.
RIO BEC DREAMS
I actually stayed there a few years ago, during my first visit to Calakmul. I loved it; to sleep literally in the jungle hear the sound of nature was an experience. The rooms are very much looked after and nicely decorated. Intimacy and tranquillity are guaranteed. The staff is very kind and welcoming. The price is very affordable and great for the quality provided. It is located 12 km from Xpujil. You can see the sign from the road. Can’t-miss it.
Read reviews on TripAdvisor
Situated on the way to Valentin Natural, just at the beginning of the secondary road, those are beautiful cottages inside nature. I great solution if you wish to feel like in your home at a few minutes driving from Xpujil Archaeological site, Valentin Natural, Becan and Chicanna’, right in the heart of Calakmul area.
HOTEL CASA MAYA
Situated just beside hotel Rio Bec, Hotel Casa Maya is the largest in the area and yet you can still find peace and tranquillity. The comfortable rooms are situated on 3 levels in a beautiful garden. Some rooms have also a private balcony. The guests have free use of bicycles as the area is popular for biking and hiking. The hotel also provides car rental. Wifi is also available. Click on the link above for more info on rates and availability.
HOTEL MAYA BALAM
This is to me the best offer in terms of quality/price – It has a very reasonable price for the great quality it offers.. The rooms are immaculate and nicely decorated, wifi throughout the property and it is at a walking distance from the town center. What makes it cheaper from the above choice is the fact that it is not immersed in the jungle which can be considered a plus factor for nature lovers and causes an increase of the rates. However, in terms of the quality of the rooms, it is definitely comparable if not better than the more expensive neighborhood
These are the hotels I have checked out myself but you can explore further options on this link
ENJOY YOUR STAY IN CALAKMUL and please let me know how it went! I look forward to hearing from you!!
For Further Reading
- Where to stay in Uxmal – Yucatan – Mexico
- How to visit the spectacular pre-hispanic city of Uxmal
- 6 unique things to do in Campeche Mexico
- The Archaeological sites of Dzibanchèn and Kinichnà
- The archaeological site of Kohunlich
Your Basic Travel Resources
- Book your transfers between destinations on the trusted booking platform Bookaway
- Store your bags in the main cities and walk around freely hands and weight free with Bounce
- Check if you need a visa and get help processing it with iVisa
- Never ever leave without travel insurance. Get complete coverage from World Nomads or long term insurance from Safety Wing
- I find all of my flights on Skyscanner, Kiwi.com, Google flights, Scott’s Cheap Flights, and always remember to compare
- Book your daily tours locally to support local businesses, or if you don’t find any reliable company, or you prefer to book in advance, check out GetYourGuide or Viator. Some of their tours are refundable up to 24h in advance.
- I rent my long and mid-term apartments on VRBO
- Book hotels with Booking.com or Hotels.com
- Compare car rental prices at Auto Europe, Discover Car Rentals
- Check out my travel planning guide if you are planning your trip and feeling overwhelmed