Before entering the State of Campeche and getting to Calakmul area, you literally bump into other amazing archaeological sites that I would really suggest to visit, if you have time. Coming from Bacalar from Route 307 and then turning into Route 186 the first sites you meet are Dzibanchen and Kinichna’.
When I arrived it was a bit late in the day as I didn’t have much idea of the distances and since I was coming I had explored another area so I used much of my time but I managed to visit them.
A long trip was waiting ahead but I decided to take it slow and visit as much as I can. Therefore after the visits od Dzibanchen and Kinichna’ I found a small lodge in the nearby area in order to be able to visit the other stunning site of Kohunlich the following day.
If you wish to know about the whole trip in pictures you can check it out here.
They are off the main road but direction are well indicated on the road. It will be half an hour drive after the turn from Route 186.
HOW TO GET THERE After about an hour driving from Bacalar (direction Escarcega- Campeche – Rute 186) you will bump into a road sign on the right which shows you the way. You have to drive through the small town of Morocoy and then turn again on the left where you see the sign. You cannot miss it. It’s actually a beautiful 40 minutes drive in the countryside, a little bumpy because of some cracks on the road but any kind of car can get there.
You will arrive at the entrance of DZIBANCHE’ where you will pay 50 MXN (3 USD) for the ticket, valid for both sites.
The first one would be Dzibanche’, much bigger and stunning, it is unfortunate that this precious archeological discovery is normally ignored since besides being of extreme historical importance among the Mayan civilization of the Classic age (300-900 A.D.) it is also an amazing walk through history and nature.
The site is also populated by a family of howler monkey and the guardians of the site will be happy to show you around and explain about the temples, pyramids, bas-relief and other remaining of the ancient city.
KINICHNA’ is the small Mayan remain from the same site group and situated at only 2 km from the site of Dzibanche’. You can actually see it from the top of the tower. In Kinichna you can only see one tower but it is worth visiting it for the evocative atmosphere and the suggestive location in the deep jungle, in total immersion into nature.
WHAT TO BRING AND WEAR
In these sites they don’t sell water, so remember to bring a couple of bottles with you, dress light and comfortable and wear closed comfortable shoes, so that little insect won’t bother you. Insect repellent is advisable as well though.
FOR FURTHER READING
- Where to stay in Uxmal – Yucatan – Mexico
- How to visit the spectacular pre-hispanic city of Uxmal
- 6 unique things to do in Campeche Mexico
- The Archaeological sites of Dzibanchèn and Kinichnà
- The archaeological site of Kohunlich
Your Basic Travel Resources
- Book your transfers between destinations on the trusted booking platform Bookaway
- Store your bags in the main cities and walk around freely hands and weight free with Bounce
- Check if you need a visa and get help processing it with iVisa
- Never ever leave without travel insurance. Get complete coverage from World Nomads or long term insurance from Safety Wing
- I find all of my flights on Skyscanner, Kiwi.com, Google flights, Scott’s Cheap Flights, and always remember to compare
- Book your daily tours locally to support local businesses, or if you don’t find any reliable company, or you prefer to book in advance, check out GetYourGuide or Viator. Some of their tours are refundable up to 24h in advance.
- I rent my long and mid-term apartments on VRBO
- Book hotels with Booking.com or Hotels.com
- Compare car rental prices at Auto Europe, Discover Car Rentals
- Check out my travel planning guide if you are planning your trip and feeling overwhelmed